Pages

Labels

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

High Cost DX-peditions

I try to not editorialize too much on this blog, but rather report on real activities that strike me as interesting in the radio hobby. I didn't start the blog to present opinions, but rather experiences and adventures. However.....

There have been many reflectors, bloggers, etc... commenting on the current state of affairs in the high-end expedition world. Some of these expeditions have budgets in the $300,000 - $400,000 range. Many commenters discuss that unless amateurs contribute more, these expeditions will no longer happen and the "deserving" will be left with log books devoid of the most rare destinations. And that somehow, its is the responsibility of the non-expeditioning population to insure that these trips are properly funded and if you don't contribute, somehow you aren't paying your fair share.

My feelings, very simply, about this issue fall along the lines of how I manage my personal finances. If I can't afford it, I don't go. No-one is "obligated" to insure that my expedition is funded. That said, I have no issue with someone asking me to help defray their costs, e.g., I am paying for my expedition, if I do a good job and you want to make a contribution, then thank you. But not the approach; I need for you to contribute or I can't go. Two very different approaches.

All of this said, there is nothing new under the sun. I have been an amateur for 25 years and the same issues come up all the time. The fact is, no matter how expensive it gets, someone will go. If we need the entity and we feel inclined, then we should make a contribution, but don't put a guilt trip on me to pay for someone elses trip.

Back to regular programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment